|제목||N. Korean military says it won't meet with reluctant S. Korea|
North Korea's military said Thursday its side will no longer talk to South Korea as long as Seoul remains reluctant to lower tension, a day after their first defense talks in nearly half a year collapsed despite high anticipation.
"Our military and people cherish peace more than anyone but will never beg for it," the North said. "It is the traditional response of our military and people to meet dialogue with dialogue and confrontation with confrontation."
Col. Moon Sang-gyun, the South Korean chief delegate, said after returning from the border talks that the North's delegates "unilaterally walked out of a meeting room without a remark" after exchanging acrimonious words over their disputes.
Although the military talks broke down, analysts said the two sides would try to resume talks soon.
Yang Moo-jin, a professor at the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, said, "There is still room for dialogue. The North appears to be lacking sincerity in its approach while the South lacks flexibility."
The inter-Korean military meeting came amid renewed efforts by regional powers to restart six-party talks on the North's nuclear weapons programs. The talks, which involve the two Koreas, the U.S., China, Japan and Russia, have been suspended since late 2008.
The following year, North Korea walked away in protest of U.N. and international sanctions over nuclear and missile tests.
Last month, the leaders of the U.S. and China agreed that inter-Korean dialogue is necessary before resuming the six-party talks.
South and North Korea remain technically at war after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a truce rather than a peace treaty.(Yonhap News)